HY's mooi is specialized in the entire or partial revision and restauration of the Citroën type H. We offer the following services
- Total revision In this option we provide full service:
- We take out the complete mechanical sub frame [known as “Horse”] and separate all the individual parts, like the brakes, steering, cooling and the electrical components. We take out the complete mechanical sub frame [known as “Horse”] and separate all the individual parts, like the brakes, steering, cooling and the electrical components. All of these individual parts are then cleaned and inspected. Faulty parts are replaced with new or revised parts. Where necessary the engine and gearbox are also revised.
- In the mean time we take all parts off the body, like the doors, windows, dashboard and wiring. Next we send the body in to get sandblasted, as to get rid of all the rust, paint and putty. Where necessary new pieces are welded in.
- When this is all done we take the parts and assemble the car back together.
- Then the assembled the HY goes to the painter, who applies a professional paint layer. Afterwards we bring the car back for the final touches and the final checks.
- Finally the underside and hollow parts of the car is to get a layer of “Dinitrol”
- Now your HY is ready to get back on the road
- After 1.000 km the HY comes back in for small maintenance, where we walk you through the final points.
- Lighting and wiring The wiring of the HY has always been a weak spot.The wires are very thin and, especially when the car has been modified, often malfunctions. In this partial revision we remove all the old wiring and install a completely new harness. Since we’re already looking through all the 12 Volt systems, we will also check and replace, where necessary, all the lights.
- Brakes The braking system of a HY is based on the technology of the 50’s. This means no braking booster and no disc brakes, just a main braking cylinder and all around drum brakes. This system is able to function just fine, when it is well adjusted and adequately maintained.
Here we separate the entire braking system and the car itself, from the brake pedal to the bleeder. In the end you will receive:
- Newly revised braking cylinders, and a new or revised main cylinder;
- New braking hoses and new braking shoes
- Starting engine and relays
- Dynamo, fan belt and voltage regulator
- Battery cables
- Where necessary a new battery and a trickle charger for charging during extended periods of not driving
This will happen in the 3 following steps:
- The cleaning of the underside of your HY to remove all of the dirt, but also the old protective layer.
- Where needed a bit of maintenance to the underside.
- Application of Dinitrol.
- Sales flap Since its beginning the HY was very popular among small salesmen and for market stalls. Often they had a sales flap build in the side. By now we have figured out how to do this and are able to install a big or small one for you.
- Nose plate The nose plate, behind the head lights, is a vulnerable spot on the HY. We are able to install a new repair part. We will cut out the old part and install a brand new piece of metal. Afterwards we will put back the headlights of course.
- Roof-Rack If you still want more carrying capacity, you can choose to let us install an roof-rack. However, a normal roof-rack is destructive for your HY. This is why we will install one with special supports that will not destroy your HY. Just like how the Dutch State police did it back in the day.
Three examples to illustrate this difference:
- A customer enters and asks us to take a look at that one rear light that is malfunctioning. In a modern car it is almost always a broken light bulb, which is fixed in about 10 minutes.
For a HY however, the chance that this is not just the light bulb is extremely high. For instance the wiring can be faulty after all this time. So since it is very likely for every problem to have underlying problems become apparent, repairs on a HY will take more time –which means more money- than initially was thought.
- Citroën made a giant manual at the time describing the standard repair times. To replace the exhaust manifold for instance is said to take 48 minutes. This is only possible IF...all the nuts and bolts are in decent condition and are easy to come loose. In our experience of 30 years however, we have noticed these nuts and bolts to be rusted to a point where they even break off while trying to unscrew them. In this case, the repair will take considerably more than those 48 minutes.
- Some time ago we received a phone call from a desperate HY owner. He spent three months to get his front brakes to work properly, but it just wouldn’t do so. Everything was renewed, but the HY kept having a brake difference between left and right. When this HY got in to our workshop, we noticed the back plate of the braking system to be a bit tilted. After further examination the springs of the emergency brake were installed incorrectly. Once this was fixed the braking problems were gone.
These examples show how the maintenance and repair of your HY is often a shared adventure. Beforehand none of us know exactly what problems we will find; sometimes we will find more problems than others. That is why we will often deliberate with you, our customer, to tell you what we found and how to continue from here on. This is how we like to work on your precious HY.
Time is money
The idea behind this new service is that with any repairs on a HY the biggest costs are man-hours, which are expensive. So after some deliberation we came up with this idea to let the customer do the simple work himself. This lowers the amount of hours we have to spend, and thus bill, which will make the entire job that much cheaper. After trying this a few times it has become apparent that this works great, even better, besides saving you some money, there are a few side benefits as well.
Working along = deciding together
During work on your HY we often stumble upon moments of decision making. For instance: When we are working on your braking system and it becomes clear to us the emergency brake cable has become bad due to wear and tear, we can immediately discuss with you whether to replace it or just leave it be for now. Sometimes the choice is in the way of repairing, and if you can do this yourself or not. When you work along we can immediately discuss these issues and is it much easier for you to make a better decision regarding what to do.
Working along = learning
If you are working along everything will pass through your own hands. This means you will learn a lot about your HY, and even how you can fix certain problems yourself in the future. This works even better considering we love to tell you about everything.
Working along = working yourself
It is also possible to use this option to work on your own HY under careful oversight. Especially useful is you know how to do certain repairs, but are still a bit unsure. In this way you can do this yourself with the help of some directions and tips of ours.